Monday, 9 July 2012

Chapter 1

Fractions, measurements, decimals, addition and subtractions… These are some of the Mathematical concepts that I used to learn as a child. Now, these concepts still exist but the instructional approach differs. Teaching Mathematics in the 21st century uses ample hands-on experience for children to explore and learn. As educators, we are trying our best to stay away from rote learning or memorizing techniques. We want children to possess rich learning experience with positivism.

Frankly speaking as a learner, I loathe Mathematics as young as 6 years old. I remembered how I was called out in front of the class for failing multiplication and division test. My parents were informed about how badly I have done for the paper. I was mortified. This experience affected the way I accept and learn Math. I have seen it as a subject that is difficult to comprehend. I am frightened when I see numbers and solving problems is a nightmare. Therefore, Chapter 1 has discussed about teacher of Mathematics. I find it interesting and captivating to list some main characteristics a teacher should possess before teaching Math. My past experiences affected the way I perceive Math and it has influenced how I reached out to my children. This is because I had concerns about teaching strategies when I firstly step into the teaching industry. I agree to a large extent that a teacher should arm herself with a positive attitude towards Math. I believe I need to change myself before changing anything else. It is mentioned that changing is easy and long-lasting if I develop my knowledge on it and experiment new ideas to approach problems. It’s worth the try, I guess.

NCTM has presented to us in a dissimilar manner in bringing quality to the Math curriculum. In my opinion, curriculum specialist in Singapore can adopt some of the principles or the process standards. They can integrate, adapt or make slight changes to fit into our local context. Recently in June, the news came shocking Singapore when we were ranked 30th in 45th countries for our preschool qualities and one of which is our curriculum guidelines. This is one of the many factors the authorities need to look into and create fair changes to gradually increase its standards.

 
 "Now, today, some children are enrolled in excellent programs. Some children are enrolled in mediocre programs. And some are wasting away their most formative years in bad programs....That's why I'm issuing a challenge to our states: Develop a cutting-edge plan to raise the quality of your early learning programs; show us how you'll work to ensure that children are better prepared for success by the time they enter kindergarten. If you do, we will support you with an Early Learning Challenge Grant that I call on Congress to enact."- President Barack Obama, speaking to the Hispanic Chamber of Commerce, March 10, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment