Thursday, 12 July 2012

Chapter 2

Chapter 2 has brought us to an exploration of knowing and doing Mathematics. Theories were discussed and showed how children learn generally. I seem to like the constructivism theory by Jean Piaget where children construct knowledge using cognitive schemas to create learning. In addition, I agree to a large extent that children learn through assimilation and accommodation. We cannot underestimate the power of prior knowledge because it can be used for children to relate their learning in order to fit new concepts into the existing network. So does it mean that without prior knowledge the children will not learn? NO. Children will still be able to absorb learning when the brain decided to replace new concepts with existing schemas.


Talking about English Language Learners (ELL), children with special needs, gifted or learning disabilities, it reminded me about a boy in my class who is recently diagnosed with mild Autism. His comprehension level falls below average than a normal child. Somehow language barrier has caused teaching to be tad arduous. I have to modify and make adaptations in order to fit into his level of learning and understanding. I managed to conduct one to one session with him but I have concerns that the author has identified which is abandoning problem-based strategies. I was wondering if there are any ways I can do to ensure that I implement these strategies if I amend and make adaptations.

At the same time, the book mentioned about multiple representations and as both learner and teacher, I am able to relate to my experience about number bonds. As a child, I am able to ace number bonds through multiple representations despite rote learning. It was back then when rote learning and memorization techniques were dominating the teaching industry. Now, when I became an early childhood educator, I am able to provide children with hands-on experience to learn number bonds. I think educators are familiar with number bonds but asking them to present it in different methods may take a while. In Singapore, we have used unifix cubes or various counters (transportation, teddy bears, fruits etc.) for children to have concrete learning experience and to make learning fun.

The video below was taken from YouTube featuring Dr Yeap (Yes! My lecturer!). I stumbled upon this video as I was searching for teachers teach number bonds in Singapore. He has explained why Singapore leads the world in Early Mathematics. He has brought up questions that are relevant to our career as teachers.

No comments:

Post a Comment