Thursday, 19 July 2012

Out of control

So today's lesson was funnily interesting and intriguing. I really liked the hands-on learning where we get to explore and manipulate with materials provided. I felt that I was behaving like a 5 year old trying to figure or solve the problems together with my friends. So we talked about rates, ratio and measurements in terms of geometric.

And here comes the reason why some of is began wacky, confused, stumped and bonkers. Just a statement as simple as this can cause so much commotion in class; "A square is a rectangle." It really affected us a learner and a teacher. Frankly speaking, I was not taught the rationality of this polygon but only now. Gosh! I only unveiled the fact when I'm 23 years old. What have I been doing all these while??

I believe as a teacher, it is not a sinple task to explain to the young children. Maybe.. Maybe the ones with higer thinking order might be able to grasp the fact that a square is a rectangle. That reminded of me about buying assessments for the K2s. How am I able to link these two topics together in wee hours? Ahh.. I'm all lost. Hahaha. Okay, back to business. It is because parents gave their K2s assessments without ensuring if they understood what they are doing. They relently complete the sums and problems using the rote methods. Same goes to teaching children that square is rectangle. We can ask children to memorize the statement but are they able to comprehend the deduction of it? That's the big issue now. Or else we early childhood educators are not doing enough.. :(

No comments:

Post a Comment